The Atlantic was born today, and I'll tell you how.
court;
daphne;
elizabeth;
gwen;
jessica;
lizzi;
mao;
mars;
maxine;
meichun;
natalie;
nianci;
shimin;
October 2004
November 2004
February 2005
March 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
August 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
August 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
May 2013
Wednesday, April 04, 2012
So many things have happened since the last time I blogged, I don't even know where to begin today's post. Most life-determining things first - I completed my uni apps, got accepted by FASS, got called up by NTU Soci for an interview + written test which I went for and performed horribly in today, waiting for Yale-NUS' reply even though it's gonna be a long shot. Thankful for the quick response from FASS, and a positive one at that, while many are still waiting for news. Screwed up my NTU written test + interview today but that doesn't matter anymore cos I made it to NUS, which has been my plan all these years - not quite living out my UK Anthro dreams but I'll gladly take my uni spot in FASS, thank you. Hoping for a positive response from Yale-NUS but that is gonna be one hell of a long shot; still the thought of possibly being able to do Anthro makes me dream and hope.
I've contented myself with the thought of FASS. And for now I'm living in this fragile bubble of contentment. And people (especially rich people) need to stop bringing up Anthro in UK to me because this bubble could burst anytime between now and for the rest of my life, unless I finally get to live out my dream and do a Master's in Anthro or something. New ambition: pursuing Social Anthro in SOAS. Or Cambridge, if I could, and follow the footsteps of Hugh Laurie my hero. Yet another new ambition I came up with: work for UNESCO!!!!! But that is Mission Impossible.
I think I live too much in my own head with all its dreams and longings and wanderlust and whatever song is in my head. I think this affects my ability to connect with people easily (in other words, I AM VERY SOCIALLY AWKWARD). I have this theory, that the one type of people I very clearly can never connect with, are practical people. But okay, the bigger picture is, I don't easily connect with people and I'm thankful for the people that I do connect with. Because such connections are rare in my sad and lonely life - and makes me convinced that I'll NEVER EVER BE ABLE TO FIND MY SOULMATE AND THEREFORE I'LL GROW UP TO A BE A LONELY CRABBY OLD HAG STUCK IN THE PAST AND AWAY FROM SOCIETY. Oh yes speaking of soulmates, Ho Kit thinks my soulmate is a 40-year-old angmoh history lecturer who loves to go exploring places like me (cos in Ho Kit's words, "only old angmoh men would be interested in the things I like" HAHAHA; like an Indiana Jones type of guy). Tweeted about this and an un-close friend from IJ agreed and added that this Indiana Jones type of guy needed to listen to indie music and will chill out at indie cafes with me. How come my life and my tendencies are so obvious to other people? What I think, is that I need a fellow dreamer. Though Charm says I need a dreamer who can also be practical and take care of me because I'm like this little girl who's unable to take care of myself. I will never understand how people understand what I need/want or what I'm like even though I don't voice these things out loud often. But for such people, I am thankful.
Went back for Funorama last last saturday and stayed there almost the whole day. Not a big fan of funfairs and I got bored within the first hour. Still, I stayed throughout and met many familiar people. Never felt out of place despite the crowds of people I didn't know; like Su Lin said, "it's like we've never left this place". And that's exactly what I felt, because I haven't known any other institution/affiliation since AC since all I've been doing after As is bumming around at home and don't belong to a job or a driving centre or a language school or a company. Still feel like I belong to AC, and I guess that's constantly the case with me - I'm forever stuck in the past.
I've been reading the same Anthro book that I've been reading since 2012 started, and it was talking about nationalism and identity. Mentioned Benedict Anderson's definition of nationalism as "an imagined community", straight out of what we learnt in SEA and made me miss SEA and excited about taking SEA in FASS. More importantly though, realised that how my favourite topics in History being Nationalism and National Unity (the precise topics everyone else hated) is proof of how I belong to Anthro. Another proof: the fact that I'm constantly people-watching. Was people-watching the other day, when I realised that old educated men in their late '50s-'60s are very interesting people. And if you ask me what I mean by "interesting", I will never know what to say. Realised that I never know how to answer questions like "Why do you like Anthro?", "Why do you like History?", "Why do you listen to indie music?", "What interests you about Soci?". Maybe I'm a boring person, maybe I don't know how to express myself, maybe I don't know enough about Anthro/History/indie music/Soci to be really interested in them. All I know is, this is what made me flunk my NTU interview and will make me flunk future interviews because I can never answer such questions. I don't know the why's or the how's, I just like and take interest in these things and why isn't that enough?
Anyway, somewhere between planning for Vienna and Eastern Europe, which failed, here's a new list of the places I'd like to visit:
1. US - San Fran (HIPPIES!!!!!), Disneyland (where I'll turn into a happy little girl), Harry Potter World, New York (watch a musical, visit Brooklyn and Bronx), Boston, Pennsylvania (visit the Amish & Mennonites), Louisiana (visit Black people and learn about voodoo and the Harlem Renaissance), Alaska
2. UK - London (visit the London Eye/St Paul's Cathedral and other churches/British Museum and other museums/markets/cafes, attend concerts, watch Arsenal play, watch a musical), Cambridge, Oxford, Manchester (OASIS), Liverpool (BEATLES + FOOTBALL), Edinburgh, attend Glastonbury
3. Paris (visit the Arc de Triomphe, Louvre and d'Orsay and other museums, Montmartre and its hippies, Notre Dame and other churches)
4. Greece - Athens (visit the Parthenon, Acropolis, the Archaeological Museum, churches, ancient ruins), Santorini
5. Italy - Rome (visit the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, catacombs, obelisks, piazzas, the Vatican & St Peter's and all the other churches/basilicas and the museums, cafes and pizza and pasta), Venice (more piazzas and churches and ancient architecture, riding on a gondola through the canal, Bridge of Sighs), Milan (watch AC Milan and Inter Milan), Naples (Pompeii!!!), Florence
6. Spain - Barcelona (watch Barcelona play, shop), Madrid, Seville
7. South Africa
8. Melbourne
9. Turkey
10. The Caribbean (Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, Guadaloupe)
11. Berlin
12. Amsterdam
13. Sweden
14. Warsaw & Krakow
15. Mexico
16. Prague
17. Belgrade
18. Sarajevo
19. Moscow & St Petersburg
20. India - Mumbai, Jodhpur/Jaipur, Chennai, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh
21. Morocco
22. Jordan
23. Tunisia
24. Israel
25. Cambodia
26. Vietnam
But the list will never stop and I will keep on wanderlusting (if the verb for wanderlust is wanderlusting).
I've contented myself with the thought of FASS. And for now I'm living in this fragile bubble of contentment. And people (especially rich people) need to stop bringing up Anthro in UK to me because this bubble could burst anytime between now and for the rest of my life, unless I finally get to live out my dream and do a Master's in Anthro or something. New ambition: pursuing Social Anthro in SOAS. Or Cambridge, if I could, and follow the footsteps of Hugh Laurie my hero. Yet another new ambition I came up with: work for UNESCO!!!!! But that is Mission Impossible.
I think I live too much in my own head with all its dreams and longings and wanderlust and whatever song is in my head. I think this affects my ability to connect with people easily (in other words, I AM VERY SOCIALLY AWKWARD). I have this theory, that the one type of people I very clearly can never connect with, are practical people. But okay, the bigger picture is, I don't easily connect with people and I'm thankful for the people that I do connect with. Because such connections are rare in my sad and lonely life - and makes me convinced that I'll NEVER EVER BE ABLE TO FIND MY SOULMATE AND THEREFORE I'LL GROW UP TO A BE A LONELY CRABBY OLD HAG STUCK IN THE PAST AND AWAY FROM SOCIETY. Oh yes speaking of soulmates, Ho Kit thinks my soulmate is a 40-year-old angmoh history lecturer who loves to go exploring places like me (cos in Ho Kit's words, "only old angmoh men would be interested in the things I like" HAHAHA; like an Indiana Jones type of guy). Tweeted about this and an un-close friend from IJ agreed and added that this Indiana Jones type of guy needed to listen to indie music and will chill out at indie cafes with me. How come my life and my tendencies are so obvious to other people? What I think, is that I need a fellow dreamer. Though Charm says I need a dreamer who can also be practical and take care of me because I'm like this little girl who's unable to take care of myself. I will never understand how people understand what I need/want or what I'm like even though I don't voice these things out loud often. But for such people, I am thankful.
Went back for Funorama last last saturday and stayed there almost the whole day. Not a big fan of funfairs and I got bored within the first hour. Still, I stayed throughout and met many familiar people. Never felt out of place despite the crowds of people I didn't know; like Su Lin said, "it's like we've never left this place". And that's exactly what I felt, because I haven't known any other institution/affiliation since AC since all I've been doing after As is bumming around at home and don't belong to a job or a driving centre or a language school or a company. Still feel like I belong to AC, and I guess that's constantly the case with me - I'm forever stuck in the past.
I've been reading the same Anthro book that I've been reading since 2012 started, and it was talking about nationalism and identity. Mentioned Benedict Anderson's definition of nationalism as "an imagined community", straight out of what we learnt in SEA and made me miss SEA and excited about taking SEA in FASS. More importantly though, realised that how my favourite topics in History being Nationalism and National Unity (the precise topics everyone else hated) is proof of how I belong to Anthro. Another proof: the fact that I'm constantly people-watching. Was people-watching the other day, when I realised that old educated men in their late '50s-'60s are very interesting people. And if you ask me what I mean by "interesting", I will never know what to say. Realised that I never know how to answer questions like "Why do you like Anthro?", "Why do you like History?", "Why do you listen to indie music?", "What interests you about Soci?". Maybe I'm a boring person, maybe I don't know how to express myself, maybe I don't know enough about Anthro/History/indie music/Soci to be really interested in them. All I know is, this is what made me flunk my NTU interview and will make me flunk future interviews because I can never answer such questions. I don't know the why's or the how's, I just like and take interest in these things and why isn't that enough?
Anyway, somewhere between planning for Vienna and Eastern Europe, which failed, here's a new list of the places I'd like to visit:
1. US - San Fran (HIPPIES!!!!!), Disneyland (where I'll turn into a happy little girl), Harry Potter World, New York (watch a musical, visit Brooklyn and Bronx), Boston, Pennsylvania (visit the Amish & Mennonites), Louisiana (visit Black people and learn about voodoo and the Harlem Renaissance), Alaska
2. UK - London (visit the London Eye/St Paul's Cathedral and other churches/British Museum and other museums/markets/cafes, attend concerts, watch Arsenal play, watch a musical), Cambridge, Oxford, Manchester (OASIS), Liverpool (BEATLES + FOOTBALL), Edinburgh, attend Glastonbury
3. Paris (visit the Arc de Triomphe, Louvre and d'Orsay and other museums, Montmartre and its hippies, Notre Dame and other churches)
4. Greece - Athens (visit the Parthenon, Acropolis, the Archaeological Museum, churches, ancient ruins), Santorini
5. Italy - Rome (visit the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, catacombs, obelisks, piazzas, the Vatican & St Peter's and all the other churches/basilicas and the museums, cafes and pizza and pasta), Venice (more piazzas and churches and ancient architecture, riding on a gondola through the canal, Bridge of Sighs), Milan (watch AC Milan and Inter Milan), Naples (Pompeii!!!), Florence
6. Spain - Barcelona (watch Barcelona play, shop), Madrid, Seville
7. South Africa
8. Melbourne
9. Turkey
10. The Caribbean (Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, Guadaloupe)
11. Berlin
12. Amsterdam
13. Sweden
14. Warsaw & Krakow
15. Mexico
16. Prague
17. Belgrade
18. Sarajevo
19. Moscow & St Petersburg
20. India - Mumbai, Jodhpur/Jaipur, Chennai, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh
21. Morocco
22. Jordan
23. Tunisia
24. Israel
25. Cambodia
26. Vietnam
But the list will never stop and I will keep on wanderlusting (if the verb for wanderlust is wanderlusting).
11:16 PM;